Wednesday 6 June 2012

Sticks'n'Sushi Review

I have been aware of Sticks'n'Sushi since it opened its first UK branch in Wimbledon, and I thought of going there, but didn't get round to going. When they invited me to come there, there didn't really seem to be a reason not to go.

Cucumber garnish
I arrived early, alone, to a virtually empty restaurant. It was a large, brown, all-encasing hall, with the kitchens at the other end and coats being spirited away behind huge curtains to be hung, as not to spoil the line of the room, I suppose. With a lot of the seating being quite communal, I was glad I was seated on an individual table. After being led to my table, I was left alone for ten minutes, at which point, I was left wondering if it was a self-service kind of joint. Luckily, when I started to look around confusedly, a waiter appeared and asked me if I'd like a drink. I had their version of a Japanese whisky sour, which was infused with some yuzu and was milky-looking and pleasantly sharp and kick-y. Other cocktails we had included their version of a raspberry mojito (slightly alcoholic liquid raspberries, pretty standard), and  cucumbery-minty one (pleasantly refreshing, pictured). Eventually, my friend arrived in a flurry of apologies and the waiter explained the menu, but not in a patronising way like Wagamama ('Have you been here before? Can you read the menu?').

I eat quite a bit of sushi around Soho and what struck me about this one is not only the wide variety but the ease of understanding and ordering. There are clear pictures and the wait staff are willing to explain anything on there. But what I generally find is that upon presented with an a la carte menu with so many small dishes is that I don't know what to order - and the price will creep up easily because I won't keep track, and I'm overwhelmed. So I'll just end up ordering a platter. Which we did.

Sushi Platter for 2
We chose the Table for 2 Sushi (£35), which consisted of assorted nigiri, maki and a couple of tempura. The whole thing was delicious. The ebi tempura were delicious, the inside-out rolls were uniformly good and all had unique flavours. My only complaint, as an intermediate wielder of chopsticks, was that the nigiris kept falling apart and more than once I dropped them in the soy sauce, meaning I couldn't taste my tuna nigiri. A small qualm, but one that affects it quite a lot.

We also had a side of rice paper rolls with soft-shell crab (£8.50, on the left-hand side of the picture), which were, to be fair to them, tasty, but in a very batter-y way. I felt a little cheated as the tempura batter overwhelmed the crab and avocado.

I was then sweet-talked by the charming, attentive waiter into half a marcel chocolate cake with raspberry foam and vanilla ice cream which was perfectly good but I had to force it down (on account of the copious amounts of rice and fish we'd just eaten), and some ricey tea, which tasted like, not unpleasantly, semolina.

Overall, a really good meal. Once they realised I was there, brilliant, friendly service and once the restaurant had filled up, a nice, buzzy atmosphere. Food was of  a great standard, and only a couple of niggles. It is expensive because all of the little extras do add up, but the platter itself was actually very good value, plus a very far cry from the likes of Yo! Sushi, and whilst both are expensive, the value and worth of Sticks'n'Sushi exc

8/10

I was invited to Sticks'n'Sushi and partially compensated.

Sticks N Sushi on Urbanspoon

1 comment:

  1. Looks like it is worth a punt if you are in the area. RE the nigiri falling apart, I believe that in Japan it is perfectly acceptable to eat nigiri using the hands so as to only dip the fish in the soy.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Foodies100 Index of UK Food Blogs
Morphy Richards